Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Availablility of information for Democratic decision making

Speaking of clarity, I do think there needs to be some work with
transparency of information. For me, transparency is more than simply
not hiding anything. It's a start, but it's not the whole thing. For
me, transparency includes the ability to find and interpret
information without the need for an intermediary. If I have to track
someone down to get information that's important to me, it's not
transparent. It's readily available, true. But not transparent. To me,
transparent means that an individual has to choose to ignore
information right in front of them. This is a very important
distinction because transparency is an important component to moral
and ethical action within a community governed by consensus.
Otherwise, what winds up happening is that information - and therefore
power - remains in the hands of a few. That's pretty much how this
society works already. If we want to do something different, if we
want to make Surreal Estate something that works outside of those
parameters, we need to guard against slipping into habitual patterns.
And this might bite me in the ass later, but I'm seeing a lot of the
same old shit I see everywhere else. I'll talk about it in detail in
person, but not here.

No comments: